HEALTH AND SICKNESS
This question is not so easy to answer. Health authorities and services have different opinions about that. Some recommend, others don’t. See also the chapter https://www.travel2flores.info/planning/practical-flores/
Keep in mind the following.
- the best prevention is not to be bitten (see website)
- prevention with malaria tablets is never 100% sure.
- some travelers choose to carry an emergency set of tablets.
- read a lot and make your own decision
Yes, there are.
- be aware of the sun; wear a cap, use sunscreen and drink a lot of water
- also read about dengue fever and chikungunya
- be careful with sharp coral when snorkling and diving
- take care of everything you eat and drink
The roads on Flores are winding and some people struggle with motion sickness. Of course you can take a tablet from the pharmacy but what helps also is a slice of fresh ginger (market) to chew on.
The best hospital is Siloam Hospital in Labuan Bajo
The second best is St. Elisabeth Hospital in Lela near Maumere.
Besides medication you need everyday/on prescription there is no need to take this with you expect the usual travelerskit like:
-Imodium (only if you need to travel)
The rest you can buy in a pharmacy.